Monday 23 August 2010

An Introduction to Ultra Sensitive Perceptions

Zardoz is the name I've been using for my more experimental DJ work over the last 20 years, so naturally I decided to re-appropriate it for the purposes of this blog, as well as my current 'Mix' project which I've affectionately dubbed USP (Ultra Sensitive Perceptions).

The USP Mixes are intended to break from the tradition (and trap) a lot of niche-music DJ's fall into - adhering to a couple of particular styles they love, while neglecting to build 'bridges' to show some sort of musical evolution, as well as how sporadic musical genres may have influenced each other with the passing of the decades. I realize that sometimes my bridges between songs or genres may seem a little abstract, but that's all part of the game of keeping things interesting and varied I suppose.

You may also want to consider when you listen to these mixes that I only followed two fundamental rules: that every mix should contain no more than 20 TRACKS (even if a track may merely constitute a 4-second vocal sample from a motion picture soundtrack); and that each mix should pay homage in some way to the seminal second half of the 1960's, with due emphasis on the Psychedelic sounds which proliferated throughout the globe between 1966-1970.

If you wish to stream or download any of these mixes, you will find the entire catalogue on MIXCLOUD  Also, if it's any help, the cover-icon of each mix should give you a pretty good idea of the dominant theme.. if indeed there is a dominant theme!?

Peace, Love & Anarchy.. DJ Zardoz

No comments:

Post a Comment